One year ago yesterday, I took a step of faith into an unknown territory with no idea of what was to come, no specific structure, no specific guidelines, or manual… Through the favor of God, creativity, a LOT of determination, and willingness to learn, I joined thousands of other entrepreneurs and self-employed professionals. It wasn’t necessarily planned, but more of a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other, day-by-day progression.
Doors that I thought should open didn’t and my degrees did not win me any special treatment. But what I did have was a clean slate and three choices: Do, Settle, or Don’t….
Well, “don’t” was an automatic cross-out. So “Do” or “Settle”— I could settle, BUT wait a minute now, what are my “DO” options? My spirit is saying “work for self”. That’s a possibility….. But WHAT ON EARTH will I do? My answer came January 31, 2013 and for the next five months I researched, I read, I created, I designed, I weighed options, I brainstormed. I sat, I waited, I put in the work. On June 30th, I got my first freelance gig doing data entry for a client through Shopify (adding images, product descriptions, making price changes).
But I noticed the opportunities for transcription and even though I had never done this before, had no idea what all it really entailed other than “type what you hear”, I applied and I remember my first project taking me literally 24 hours to complete one audio (30-60 minutes, don’t remember which). Yeah, I had no idea what I was doing…..
One year later, most of my VA work is transcription with over 200 audio hours completed, averaging 5 audio hours a week, sometimes way more.
So what is my title?
ALS (academic, life, spiritual) Coach, VAS (Virtual Administrative Specialist)
What EXACTLY does that mean?
As a Coach, I listen, I empower, I encourage, I inspire, I CHALLENGE!
As a VAS, I provide virtual (online) services to other entrepreneurs, businessmen/women, authors, other coaches, pastors as an organizer, transcriber, personal assistant, typist, event coordinator, and the list goes on.
How do I work?
How did I do my first year?
Over 100 jobs via 3 freelance platforms, 50+ clients, overall rating of 4.91 and 5 figure earnings (*not 9-5 earnings just yet, let me make that clear).
No, the process has not been easy, but every late night, early morning, 2 hour cat naps here and there and everything else has been well worth it.
So by the grace of God, praying Year 2 will be even better.
Words of Encouragement:
1. A lot of doors will close, rejections will come, but if you still have breath, you still have a purpose, and there’s an opportunity with your name on it. Doors close because it’s not what God has for your, it’s purpose has been fulfilled, or maybe you’re not in the right position just yet to enjoy the full blessings of the opportunity.
2. Some days things will go as planned, but most often not. Don’t worry, don’t fret, it’s just a test to teach you how to be flexible and adaptable and roll with the punches. (Have a little faith)
3. Sometimes those you thought would support you won’t and that’s okay, because there will be new supporters. Trust me, the right people will come along at the right time.
4. We all have a role in life and in some way our role in life is needed for someone else to fulfill theirs. So you are no less or no more than the next because we are ALL needed.
5. What this 1st year has reminded me is that “God does not call the qualified, he qualifies the called” Many of the jobs I’ve taken on, specifically VA-related, I would not be qualified to do by “9-5” standards, as many were learned and self-taught per client needs. My degrees are in CJ and Psychology, not business management, but yet, here I am. I didn’t study to be a Coach, it’s already who I am.
ANYTHING is possible with God. He will protect you wherever He leads you! Everybody will not understand your path, sometimes not even you, so be careful where you put your expectations!
Hopefully this will bless someone who has been considering a change. You can’t see the road ahead, and there is no light to be seen at the end of the tunnel, (but it’s there). If you’re concerned about what others will think, that is your first mistake. There are no real obstacles, but a fear of the unknown, and that’s all about YOU! Since “don’t” is not an option, you now have two choices: “Do” or “Settle”! (and if you settle, you surrendered to the wrong person/thing. Even more so, you’ve doubted your Creator and who you Can Be)………
I’m hoping to bless someone else who has been strongly considering working from home on a full-time or part-time basis by helping you get set up on different platforms and guiding/coaching you through the process. And no, this is not something you’d have to pay for. Just willing to help a couple of people who are serious about freelance opportunities, but not sure of the ins and outs or how to get started. So if that’s you, contact me here or below to further discuss.